Re: GCC Multi-Threading Ideas

On Freitag, 24. Januar 2020 17:29:06 CET Nicholas Krause wrote:
> On 1/24/20 3:18 AM, Allan Sandfeld Jensen wrote:

> >> Sorry for the second message Allan but make -j does not scale well
> >> beyond 4 or
> >> 8 threads and that's considering a 4 core or 8 machine.
> >
> > It doesn't? I generally build with -j100, but then also use icecream to
> > distribute builds to multiple machines in the office. That probably also
> > makes linking times more significant to my case.
> >
> > 'Allan
>
> Allan,
>
> I ran a gcc build on a machine with make -j32 and -j64 that had 64 cores.
> There was literally only a 4 minute increase in build speed. Good question
> through.

Right. I guess it entirely depends on what you are building. If you are
building gcc, it is probably bound by multiple configure runs, and separate
iterations. What I usually build is Qt and Chromium, where thousands of files
can be compiled from a single configure run (more than 20000 in the case of
Chromium), plus those configure runs are much faster. For Chromium there is
almost a linear speed up with the number of parallel jobs you run up to around
100. With -j100 I can build Chromium in 10 minutes, with 2 minutes being
linking time (5 minutes linking if using bfd linker). With -j8 it takes 2
hours.

But I guess that means multithreading the compiler can make sense to your
case, even if it doesn't to mine.

Regards
'Allan