Re: Proposal for the transition timetable for the move to GIT

On 09/01/2020 02:38, Segher Boessenkool wrote:
On Wed, Jan 08, 2020 at 11:34:32PM +0000, Joseph Myers wrote:
As noted on overseers, once Saturday's DATESTAMP update has run at 00:16
UTC on Saturday, I intend to add a README.MOVED_TO_GIT file on SVN trunk
and change the SVN hooks to make SVN readonly, then disable gccadmin's
cron jobs that build snapshots and update online documentation until they
are ready to run with the git repository.  Once the existing git mirror
has picked up the last changes I'll make that read-only and disable that
cron job as well, and start the conversion process with a view to having
the converted repository in place this weekend (it could either be made
writable as soon as I think it's ready, or left read-only until people
have had time to do any final checks on Monday).  Before then, I'll work
on hooks, documentation and maintainer-scripts updates.

Where and when and by who was it decided to use this conversion?

Will it at least be *tested* first?

Segher

Tested for what? We run many tests on the conversion, for example to check that the branch tips are all sane, and many other things as well.

Additionally, Joseph has made many trial conversions available for public examination as we've been iterating towards the final result.

FWIW, I now support using reposurgeon for the final conversion.

I want to also take this opportunity to thank Maxim for the work he has done. Having that fallback option has meant that we could press harder for a timely solution and has also driven several significant improvements to the overall result. I do not think we would have achieved as good a result overall if he hadn't developed his scripts.

R.