Re: [RFC] Characters per line: from punch card (80) to line printer (132) (was: [Patch][OpenMP/OpenACC/Fortran] Fix mapping of optional (present|absent) arguments)

Hello,

(oh a flame bait :) )

On Thu, 5 Dec 2019, Thomas Schwinge wrote:

> So, I formally propose that we lift this characters per line restriction
> from IBM punch card (80) to mainframe line printer (132).
>
> Tasks:
>
>   - Discussion.

I object to cluttering code in excuse for using sensible function names or
temporaries that otherwise can help clearing up code.  Using 132-char
lines is cluttering code:
- long lines are harder to read/grasp: vertical eye movement is easier
  than horizontal, and source code should be optimized for
  reading, not writing
- long lines make it impossible to have two files next to each other at a
  comfortable font size
- long lines are incompatible with existing netiquette re emails, for
  instance

So, at least for me, that my terminals are 80 wide (but not x24) has
multiple reasons, and the _least_ of it is because that's what punch cards
had.

Ciao,
Michael.