Re: Commit messages and the move to git

On Tue, 19 Nov 2019, Eric S. Raymond wrote:

> Richard Earnshaw (lists) <Richard.Earnshaw@arm.com>:
> > Nope, that was from running the go version from yesterday.  This one, to
> > be precise:  1ab3c514c6cd5e1a5d6b68a8224df299751ca637
> >
> > This pass used to be very fast a couple of weeks back, but something
> > went in recently that's caused a major slowdown.
> >
> > Oh, and I've been having problems with the ChangeLogs command as well.
> > It used to run fine on my machine (128G), but now it's started blowing
> > memory and taking my X server down.
>
> That sucks.  Those were stretches of code the two guys working with me
> have been trying to speed up. Looks like that backfired.
>
> Please file isses at  https://gitlab.com/esr/reposurgeon/issues and
> include timing reports if you can.

I see the changelogs issue is fixed (I can run a conversion past that
point on a system with 128GB memory, with mergeinfo processing being very
slow as described by Richard).  But then I get errors:

*** Unknown syntax: relax

followed by the "tag /branch-root|branchpoint/ delete" command giving an
error

reposurgeon: assignments invalidated by GC

and a "script abort" in conversion.log, after which it starts writing out
gcc.fi (I think without processing any of the rest of gcc.lift).  I don't
know whether the above errors are bugs in reposurgeon or in the
gcc-conversion scripts.

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com