Re: Commit messages and the move to git

On 04/11/2019 16:04, Jeff Law wrote:
On 11/4/19 3:29 AM, Richard Earnshaw (lists) wrote:
With the move to git fairly imminent now it would be nice if we could
agree on a more git-friendly style of commit messages; and, ideally,
start using them now so that the converted repository can benefit from
this.

Some tools, particularly gitk or git log --oneline, can use one-line
summaries from a commit's log message when listing commits.  It would be
nice if we could start adopting a style that is compatible with this, so
that in future commits are summarized in a useful way.  Unfortunately,
some of our existing commits show no useful information with tools like
this.
I'd suggest we sync policy with glibc.  They're further along on the
ChangeLog issues.  Whatever they do in this space we should follow --
aren't we going to be using some of their hooks/scripts?

jeff

I wouldn't object to that. But then, it's largely what I'm asking for, with a few minor details.

https://sourceware.org/glibc/wiki/Contribution%20checklist#Contribution_Email_Subject_Line

Seems to set out the rules.

I think we'd probably want to keep PRnnnnn rather than switch to BZ #nnnnnn, but otherwise there's nothing I'd object to.

It looks like, from a quick look at https://sourceware.org/ml/glibc-cvs/2019-q4/ that the email subject lines are largely what is used for the summary commits.

R.