Re: C provenance semantics proposal

On Thu, 25 Apr 2019, Peter Sewell wrote:

> (The standard does also have a defect in its definition of equality - on
> the one hand, it says that &x+1==&y comparison must be true
> if they are adjacent, but on the other (in DR260) that everything
> might be provenance-aware.   My preference would be to resolve
> that by requiring source-language == to not be provenance aware,
> but I think this is a more-or-less independent thing.)

I've argued (in bug 61502 which you reported) that whether two objects
follow each other in the address space need not be constant for the
lifetime of those objects (that following in the address space, for
separate objects, means nothing other than certain properties of
comparisons, and, in particular, need not be constant as a property
applied to constant addresses).

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com