is re-running bootstrap after a change safe?

Is it safe to rerun make bootstrap after changing GCC source?

Say if the first bootstrap succeeds and I then change a single
GCC .c file and rerun make bootstrap, am I guaranteed to see
the same fallout of the change as I would if I did a pristine
build in a clean directory?

I have been assuming this is safe and so after each tweak to
a patch I work on I rerun make bootstrap in the same build
directory.  It can speed things up quite a bit.

But the recent bootstrap breakage (PR 89980) makes me wonder
if it is, in fact, safe.  I can see the broken bootstrap today
in a clean build yet the bootstrap I did just before checking
in the change went fine.

Martin