Re: License compliance on updating gcc runtime libraries

> That depends on your local copyright law. Some, like the US, have
> language saying that copies necessary for usual operation are *not*
> covered under copyright.

I'm refering to US law.  Where, precisely, is the language you are
referring to?  Note that there are two separate issues:

(1) Whether executing a program is considered making a copy under
copyright law.

(2) Whether somebody has an implicit right to make such a copy.

Which of these two are you addressing?

Note that there are cases where copyright law acknowleges that
something is a copy, but permits making that copy.  "Fair use" is
probably the best known of those.