Re: That light at the end of the tunnel?

On Mon, 23 Jul 2018, Jeff Law wrote:

> > There are two approaches to conversion: (1) convert what's active and
> > preserve the old system indefinitely for reference access; (2) convert
> > everything 100% so the old system can be retired.
> >
> > It seems that Eric has been trying for #2, which is fine if doable.
> > But #1 is also a reasonable option and if the nature of the beast
> > makes #2 acceptable, going for #1 is a plan I would definitely
> > support.
> Yea.  I suspect we'll keep the SVN repo around read-only essentially
> forever so the links in bugzilla continue to work.  There's probably
> other uses of the SVN version #s that we'd like to preserve.

We'll obviously keep SVN around readonly just as with CVS.

The problem described is not one for which only keeping a few selected
branches would actually help at all.  If we get to a point where
everything converts OK except for a few obscure non-trunk branches that
have problems (possibly mid-branch deletealls), then we can consider
excluding those branches (starting from a baseline of keeping all branches
that are still present in SVN, then identify particular problem branches
to exclude).

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com