Re: divmod pattern question

> On Jun 20, 2018, at 1:16 AM, Jeff Law <law@redhat.com> wrote:
>
> On 06/19/2018 12:55 PM, Paul Koning wrote:
>> Gentlepeople,
>>
>> I have a two-operand divide instruction that takes a double length dividend in a register pair, and produces the quotient in the first register and remainder in the second.
>>
>> How do I write a divmod pattern for that?  The quotient is easy enough, I write a match_operand for that register and a matching constraint ("0") for the input dividend.  But what about the remainder?  The remainder appears in a register that isn't explicitly mentioned in the RTL (it's the regnum one higher than the quotient, or if you like, the second subreg of the input (dividend) register.
> You can generally allocate double-sized registers with appropriate
> constraints and the like.  And you could use matching constraints,
> perhaps with subregs, but in the end, ewwwww.
>

>> I can make it a define_expand that adds a move from the remainder register into a new register which is the output operand, and count on the optimizer to optimize away that move.  Is that the best answer?  The current "mod" pattern does that, and I could keep that approach.
> But this would generally be better I think.  I'd expect the move to be
> optimized away the vast majority of the time.

Thanks.  I looked at some others, like M68k, the difference there is that the mod result goes to an explicitly named register in the machine instruction.

Here's what I ended up with; it seems to work even though it doesn't match precisely what the documentation seems to call for.

(define_expand "divmodhi4"
  [(parallel
    [(set (subreg:HI (match_dup 1) 0)
	(div:HI (match_operand:SI 1 "register_operand" "0")
		(match_operand:HI 2 "general_operand" "g")))
     (set (subreg:HI (match_dup 1) 2)
	(mod:HI (match_dup 1) (match_dup 2)))])
   (set (match_operand:HI 0 "register_operand" "=r")
        (subreg:HI (match_dup 1) 0))
   (set (match_operand:HI 3 "register_operand" "=r")
        (subreg:HI (match_dup 1) 2))]
  "TARGET_40_PLUS"
  "")

; and then the actual final instruction:
(define_insn "divmodhi4_nocc"
  [(set (subreg:HI (match_operand:SI 0 "register_operand" "=r,r") 0)
	(div:HI (match_operand:SI 1 "register_operand" "0,0")
	     (match_operand:HI 2 "general_operand" "rR,Qi")))
   (set (subreg:HI (match_dup 1) 2)
	(mod:HI (match_dup 1) (match_dup 2)))
   (clobber (reg:CC CC_REGNUM))]
  "TARGET_40_PLUS"