Re: Apparent deeply-nested missing error bug with gcc 7.3

It's never called.

I added a call to abort() to that function, and the tests all pass. So
the function is never used, so GCC never compiles it and doesn't
notice that the return type is invalid. That's allowed by the
standard. The compiler is not required to diagnose ill-formed code in
uninstantiated templates.

As I mentioned in the original message, it is called several times.
Both MSVC and Clang pick up the error, but GCC does not. It's a bug.