Re: How to get GCC on par with ICC?

One case where ICC can generate much faster code sometimes is by using
the nontemporal pragma [https://software.intel.com/en-us/node/524559]
with loops.

AFAIK, there's no such equivalent pragma in gcc
[https://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2012-01/msg00028.html].

When I tried this simple example
https://github.com/rnburn/square_timing/blob/master/bench.cpp that
measures times for this loop:

void compute(const double* x, index_t N, double* y) {
  #pragma vector nontemporal
  for(index_t i=0; i<N; ++i) y[i] = x[i]*x[i];
}

 with and without nontemporal I got these times (N = 1,000,000)

Temporal     1,042,080
Non-Temporal 538,842

So running with the non-temporal pragma was nearly twice as fast.

An equivalent non-temporal pragma for GCC would, IMO, certainly be a
very good feature to add.