Re: GSOC Question about the parallelization project

On Mon, Mar 19, 2018 at 9:55 PM, Richard Biener
<richard.guenther@gmail.com> wrote:
> On March 19, 2018 8:09:32 PM GMT+01:00, Sebastiaan Peters <sebaspe97@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>>The goal should be to extend TU wise parallelism via make to function
>>wise parallelism within GCC.
>>
>>Could you please elaborate more on this?
>
> In the abstract sense you'd view the compilation process separated into N stages, each function being processed by each. You'd assign a thread to each stage and move the work items (the functions) across the set of threads honoring constraints such as an IPA stage needing all functions completed the previous stage. That allows you to easier model the constraints due to shared state (like no pass operating on two functions at the same time) compared to a model where you assign a thread to each function.
>
> You'll figure that the easiest point in the pipeline to try this 'pipelining' is after IPA has completed and until RTL is generated.
>
> Ideally the pipelining would start as early as the front ends finished parsing a function and ideally we'd have multiple functions in the RTL pipeline.
>
> The main obstacles will be the global state in the compiler of which there is the least during the GIMPLE passes (mostly cfun and current_function_decl plus globals in the individual passes which is easiest dealt with by not allowing a single pass to run at the same time in multiple threads). TLS can be used for some of the global state plus of course some global data structures need locking.

Oh, and just to mention - there are a few things that may block
adoption in the end
like whether builds are still reproducible (we allocate things like
DECL_UID from
global pools and doing that somewhat randomly because of threading
might - but not
must - change code generation).  Or that some diagnostics will appear in
non-deterministic order, or that dump files are messed up (both issues could be
solved by code dealing with the issue, like buffering and doing a re-play in
program order).  I guess reproducability is important when it comes down to
debugging code-generation issues - I'd prefer to debug gcc when it doesn't run
threaded but if that doesn't reproduce an issue that's bad.

So the most important "milestone" of this project is to identify such issues and
document them somewhere.

Richard.