This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
GSOC Question about the parallelization project
- From: Sebastiaan Peters <SebPeters at outlook dot com>
- To: "gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org" <gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org>
- Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2018 16:25:35 +0000
- Subject: GSOC Question about the parallelization project
- Spamdiagnosticmetadata: NSPM
- Spamdiagnosticoutput: 1:99
My name is Sebastiaan Peters, currently an undergrad compsci student from The Netherlands.
I'm interested in the project about parallelizing the compilation with threads project.
My main background is with c#, however I have some experience with c, c++ and x86 assembly.
As for my knowledge about compilers, that is mostly limited to the first few chapters of the dragon book.
I have compiled GCC which acted as a cross compiler for my (very small) toy os.
Currently I have 3 questions:
1. Would my background knowledge be sufficient for this project?
2. What is currently the recommended reading for learning the gcc internals?
3. When it comes down to the different compiler phases,
which phase would be most benefited from the parallelization?