Re: RFC: Improving GCC8 default option settings

> On 13 Sep 2017, at 1:57 AM, Wilco Dijkstra <Wilco.Dijkstra@arm.com> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> At the GNU Cauldron I was inspired by several interesting talks about improving
> GCC in various ways. While GCC has many great optimizations, a common theme is
> that its default settings are rather conservative. As a result users are
> required to enable several additional optimizations by hand to get good code.
> Other compilers enable more optimizations at -O2 (loop unrolling in LLVM was
> mentioned repeatedly) which GCC could/should do as well.

There are some nuances to -O2. Please consider -O2 users who wish use it like Clang/LLVM’s -Os (-O2 without loop vectorisation IIRC).

Clang/LLVM has an -Os that is like -O2 so adding optimisations that increase code size can be skipped from -Os without drastically effecting performance.

This is not the case with GCC where -Os is a size at all costs optimisation mode. GCC users option for size not at the expense of speed is to use -O2.

Clang		GCC
-Oz		~=	-Os
-Os		~=	-O2

So if adding optimisations to -O2 that increase code size, please considering adding an -O2s that maintains the compact code size of -O2. -O2 generates pretty compact code as many performance optimisations tend to reduce code size, or otherwise add optimisations that increase code size to -O3. Adding loop unrolling on makes sense in the Clang/LLVM context where they have a compact code model with good performance i.e. -Os. In GCC this is -O2.

So if you want to enable more optimisations at -O2, please copy -O2 optimisations to -O2s or rename -Os to -Oz and copy -O2 optimisation defaults to a new -Os.

The present reality is that any project that wishes to optimize for size at all costs will need to run a configure test for -Oz, and then fall back to -Os, given the current disparity between Clang/LLVM and GCC flags here.