Re: Behaviour of __forced_unwind with noexcept

On 15 August 2017 at 16:21, Ron <ron@bitbabbler.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 15, 2017 at 01:31:10PM +0200, Richard Biener wrote:

>> > If the forced_unwind exception escapes a noexcept function then the
>> > compiler calls std::terminate(). That can be replaced by the user so
>> > that it doesn't call abort(). It must not return, but a user-supplied
>> > terminate handler could trap or raise SIGKILL or something else.
>> >
>> > Required behavior: A terminate_handler shall terminate execution of
>> > the program without returning
>> > to the caller.
>> > Default behavior: The implementation’s default terminate_handler calls abort().
>> >
>> > I don't think glibc can help, I think the compiler would need to
>> > change to not call std::terminate().
>>
>> Maybe it could call an unwinder provided hook so that forced_unwind can
>> set it to sth stopping the unwinding and signalling an error rather than
>> abort()ing.
>
> The trick there is that we don't actually want to just stop the unwinding
> at the first place where it hits a noexcept function (or we're back to
> the situation that force_unwind was created to avoid, resources higher up
> the stack may be leaked).
>
> And my gut feeling is that we don't want to diverge from the standard as
> to when a real error (an exception leaving a noexcept context) occurs.
>
> But it seems to me that we can avoid the problem case, and stay within
> the letter and spirit of the standard just by always ensuring that
> pthread_cancel is never acted upon in a noexcept context.  That way we
> simply never throw an exception, and don't need to do anything tricky
> about handling it.  The cancel request will just get acted upon at the
> next cancellation point which isn't in a noexcept scope.  All other
> errant exceptions will still behave exactly as expected.

Define "noexcept scope". For the following there would be no leaks:

void f() noexcept
{
  try {
    g();
  } catch (...) {
    throw;
  }
}

The forced_unwind would be caught, at which point the stack would have
been unwound to that point, and then it would terminate. In theory we
could allow cancellation during the execution of g(). Your proposal
would prevent that.

Also currently std::thread runs the supplied function object inside a
noexcept function. With your proposal cancellation would be blocked in
any thread created by a std::thread, i.e. you could only cancel in the
main() thread, or threads created by pthread_create.

> All we'd be adding is a simple extension to noexcept, which isn't in
> direct violation of the standard, to complement the stack unwinding
> extension that the standard didn't account for with noexcept.
>

> Is changing the cancellation state really an expensive operation?
> Moreso than the checking which I assume already needs to be done for
> noexcept to trap errant exceptions?

Changing the cancel state would have to happen in the hot path, just
in case a cancellation happens.

Terminating only has to happen in the cold path if an exception is
thrown, during stack unwinding.