Re: Linux and Windows generate different binaries

On Sun, Jul 16, 2017 at 12:38:58PM +0300, Alexander Monakov wrote:
> On Sat, 15 Jul 2017, Segher Boessenkool wrote:
> > Would it hurt us to use stable sorts *everywhere*?
>
> Stability (using the usual definition: keeping the original order of
> elements that compare equal) is not required to achieve reproducibility [*].

I am well aware, and that is not what I asked.  If we would use stable
sorts everywhere we would not have to think about whether some sorting
routine has to be stable or if we can get away with a (slightly slower)
non-stable sort.

> [*] nor would it be sufficient, given our current practice of passing
>     invalid comparators to libc sort, at which point anything can happen
>     due to undefined behavior

That is just a plain bug, undefined behaviour even (C11 7.22.5/4).
Of course it needs to be fixed.

Segher