Re: Steering committee, please, consider using lzip instead of xz

On Thu, 8 Jun 2017, Antonio Diaz Diaz wrote:
> You mean SUSE Linux Enterprise Server is using a format that does
> not guarantee safe interoperability among implementations[1] to
> "power mission-critical workloads"!?

I am not aware of a single customer complaint.

> For the case of SLES[2] I would say that avoiding xz is a must. IMHO
> SLES users are better served by falling back to the .gz tarball until
> the next major version of SLES is released than by suffering xz forever.

Users and customers have this thing where they prefer to make decisions
like this as opposed to the operating system vendor prescribing what
they may or must not use.

And this is something free software projects and Enterprise software
tend to have in common:  Ultimately many decisions are motivated bottom
up (from the users/customers), not top down.  My recommendation is you
keep pushing the strengths and advantages of lzip to broaden its user
base and when/if we'll see more user requests, that may be a trigger
to adjust how GCC's releases and snapshots are published.

Gerald, who happens to be the maintainer of lzip in the FreeBSD
	Ports Collection