Re: xz instead of bzip2

Hello Andreas et all,

Andreas Schwab wrote:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/coreutils/2017-01/msg00009.html

In the above link I read the following affirmation by Jim Meyering: "I found/find that xz is superior to lzip". But he does not back his affirmation with any evidence.

Appeal to autority is obsolete since at least the Renaissance. Unless someone can refute the defects of xz, my opinion is that using xz is damaging to users.

But if you are going to appeal to autority, at least appeal to the author of the thing, who said that "XZ Utils is already an over-engineered pig".

http://www.mail-archive.com/xz-devel@tukaani.org/msg00076.html

I just refuse to believe that some of the best developers in the world may think seriously about using a format that "protects" its padding bytes with a CRC32.

http://www.nongnu.org/lzip/xz_inadequate.html#misguided

Best regards,
Antonio.