Re: PowerPC SPE maintainership (was Re: Obsolete powerpc*-*-*spe*)

Hi Andrew,

On Wed, Apr 26, 2017 at 10:18:55AM +0100, Andrew Jenner wrote:
> On 13/03/2017 18:01, Andrew Jenner wrote:
> >I volunteer to be the point of contact for the SPE port.
> >
> >Over here at CodeSourcery/Mentor Embedded, we have a strong interest in
> >SPE *not* being deprecated (we actively ship toolchain products with SPE
> >multilibs, and have customers for which these are important). We are
> >therefore volunteering resources (specifically, me) to maintain SPE
> >upstream as well.
>
> Ping.
>
> My understanding is that I need to be appointed by the steering
> committee to become a maintainer, but I have not yet heard anything from
> them.
>
> Either way, I will work on cleaning up the SPE test results and getting
> some patches sent upstream to make sure this part of the port is in good
> shape.

Here's the sequence of things that should happen:

1) Test results are posted to gcc-testresults@, ideally regularly.
Without test results no one can know if they break things.

2) The port has to be created.  I volunteered to do that.  This can
start soon after the GCC 7 release.  It will be hard to do without
having test results.

We also still have to agree on the target triples for the new port.
If you have any thoughts on this, I'd love to hear them.

3) The port has to be accepted by the steering committee, and you
appointed the maintainer.  This should be just a formality after 1)
and 2).

Segher