Optimization question

Hi guys,

I've run into an issue where turning on compiler optimization using -O1 or higher causes an issue in my program. Specifically, I am replacing the new and delete operators globally to perform some real time allocation tracking. When I compile with -O1 or -O2, my implementation of new is not being called by STL classes, via the std::allocator. My version of delete IS being called.

I realize I may be doing something wrong and I've read many posts from people saying not to replace new and delete, but I'm hacking on a 15 year old baseline. We've just stepped up to GCC 5.3.0 and are compiling with the -std=c++14 option (to give a little context). I'm also compiling using MinGW, but I'm figuring MinGW would be using the same optimization logic at the compiler level as pure GCC.

Before I go through by hand and try to determine which optimization seems to be causing the problem, does anyone have a suggestion as to the culprit? Am I doing something essentially wrong? I'd happily post an example program, but I'm hoping my question is general enough in nature to warrant an easy response.

Thanks,

Nik