Re: Deprecating basic asm in a function - What now?

On 07/04/2016 03:43 PM, Jonathan Wakely wrote:

On 22 June 2016 at 10:28, David Wohlferd wrote:

And I *get* that it takes time to re-write this, and people have schedules,
lives, a need for sleep.  But even under the most insanely aggressive
schedule I can imagine (if gcc continue to release ~1/year), it will be at
least a year before there's a release that has the (disable-able) warning,
and another year before we could even think about actually removing this.
So someone who plans to use v8.0 in their production code on the day it is
released still has a minimum of *two years* to get ready.

It doesn't matter how much warning people have to fix such things,
most of them won't do it. Then at the last minute some poor person has
to spend days or weeks going through other people's code fixing all
the problems. If the benefit isn't clear then it's just a pain and
causes wailing and gnashing of teeth.

We had at least 15 years of warning ahead of the Y2K problem. Nevertheless, it was only fixed in our code during March-September 1999.

Or, as one of my colleagues quipped: The next time, they can ask someone else for this job.

--
Toon Moene - e-mail: toon@moene.org - phone: +31 346 214290
At home: http://moene.org/~toon/; weather: http://moene.org/~hirlam/