Re: std::list iteration performance for under 1000 elements

On 04/25/2016 12:51 AM, Soul Studios wrote:
Hi guys,
I was wondering if any of you could explain this performance for me:
www.plflib.org/colony.htm#benchmarks

(full disclosure, this is my website and benchmarks - I just don't under
the std::list results I'm getting at the moment)

If you look at the iteration performance graphs, you'll see that
std::list under gcc (and MSVC, from further testing) has /really good/
forward-iteration performance for under 1000 elements (fewer elements
for larger datatypes).
Why is this. Everything I know about std::list's (non-contiguous memory
allocation, cache effect) implementation tells me it should have
terrible iteration performance. But for under 1000 elements it's often
better than std::deque?

Such questions should probably go to the help list.

You should look at this with perf, preferably counting cache misses. I suspect that for working sets which fit into the first-level cache of the CPU, the simpler iterators for std::list are faster than std::deque because the additional memory accesses in std::list are cheaper than the fairly complicated iterator implementation in std::deque.

Florian