Re: [gimplefe] [gsoc16] Gimple Front End Project

On Wed, Mar 9, 2016 at 10:47 AM, Richard Biener
<richard.guenther@gmail.com> wrote:

> About using the LLVM IR - similar issue I think, plus it is probably
> too far away
> from GCC so that what we'll end up will only look like LLVM IR but not actually
> be LLVM IR.

I don't think this is feasible at all, actually.  As I said in my
message, LLVM IR and GIMPLE are fairly different in terms of
abstraction.

The main goal is providing a text-based representation for GIMPLE that
can be used as input into any arbitrary stage of the optimizer.  This
also implies other modularization efforts that allow this.

Whether or not GIMPLE looks like C, or this is done piggybacking the C
FE, is a different issue.  I think the first issue to solve is
defining GIMPLE as a full, compilable language with well formed
execution and data semantics.

Diego.