Re: [WWWDocs] Deprecate support for non-thumb ARM devices

On February 28, 2016 3:20:24 PM CST, Gerald Pfeifer <gerald@pfeifer.com> wrote:
>On Wed, 24 Feb 2016, Richard Earnshaw (lists) wrote:
>> I propose to commit this patch later this week.
>
>+       Support for revisions of the ARM architecture prior to ARMv4t
>has
>+       been deprecated and will be removed in a future GCC release.
>+       This affects ARM6, ARM7 (but not ARM7TDMI), ARM8, StrongARM,
>and
>+       Faraday fa526 and fa626 devices, which do not have support for
>+       the Thumb execution state.
>
>I am wondering whether this may be confusing for those not
>intricately familiar with the older history of ARM platforms.
>
>ARMv8 is pretty new, googling for it has
>  http://www.arm.com/products/processors/armv8-architecture.php
>as first hit, for example, and the only difference versus ARM8
>is that little lower-case "v".

I assume this means a number of values for the various -mXXX arguments will be removed. Would it be more helpful to list those values?

I have to agree with Gerald. I think this will obsolete a few older RTEMS BSPs but based on that wording, I don't know which.

>Gerald

--joel