Re: [WWWDocs] Deprecate support for non-thumb ARM devices

On Thu, Feb 25, 2016 at 10:20 AM, Richard Earnshaw (lists)
<Richard.Earnshaw@arm.com> wrote:
> The point is to permit the compiler to use interworking compatible
> sequences of code when generating ARM code, not to force users to use
> Thumb code.  The necessary instruction (BX) is available in armv5 and
> armv5e, even though Thumb is not supported in those architecture variants.
>
> It might be worth deprecating v5 and v5e at some point in the future: to
> the best of my knowledge no v5 class device without Thumb has ever
> existed - but it's not a decision that needs to be related to this proposal.

Slightly off topic, but related: What does the "e" stand for? Also,
what does "l" stand for in armv5tel, which is what I usually get --
little endian?

I have no idea if there is an authoritative source for these host
specifications and cannot find any. config.guess seems to just rely on
uname -m.