Re: Remove sel-sched?

Hello Bernd,

On 13.01.2016 21:25, Bernd Schmidt wrote:
There are a few open PRs involving sel-sched, and I'd like to start a
discussion about removing it. Having two separate schedulers isn't a very
good idea in the first place IMO, and since ia64 is dead, sel-sched gets
practically no testing despite being the more complex one.

Thoughts?

Out of the PRs we have, two are actually fixed but not marked as such. This year's PRs are from the recent Zdenek's Debian rebuild with GCC 6 and I will be on them now. For the other two last year PRs, it is my fault not to fix them in a timely manner. Frankly, 2015 was very tough for me and my colleagues (we worked 6 days a week most part of the year), but since January it is fine again and we'll catch up now. Sorry for that.

You're also right that sel-sched now gets limited testing. We're made it work initially for ia64, x64, ppc and cell, and then added ARM, too. Outside of ia64 world, I had private reports of sel-sched being used for cell with success, and we used it in our own contractor work for optimizing some ARM apps with GCC.

In short, we're willing to maintain sel-sched and I apologize for the slow PR fixing speed last year, it should be no problem anymore as of now. If there are any big plans of reorganizing schedulers and sel-sched stands in the way of those, let's discuss it and we'll be willing to help in any way.

Andrey

Bernd