Re: distro test rebuild using GCC 6

On 01/13/2016 06:17 AM, Matthias Klose wrote:
Here are some first results from a distro test rebuild using GCC 6. A
snapshot of the current Ubuntu development series was taken on 20151218
for all architectures (amd64, arm64, armhf, i386/i686, powerpc, ppc64el,
s390x), and rebuilt unmodified using the current GCC 5 branch, and using
GCC 6 20160101 (then updated to 20160109).

The build logs for package builds regressing with GCC 6 can be found at
http://people.canonical.com/~doko/tmp/gcc6-regr/ (918 packages, compared
to around 500 regressions seen in GCC 5)

extracted from
http://people.ubuntuwire.org/~wgrant/rebuild-ftbfs-test/test-rebuild-20151218.1-gcc6-xenial.html

http://people.ubuntuwire.org/~wgrant/rebuild-ftbfs-test/test-rebuild-20151218.1-xenial-baseline-xenial.html

The GCC 6 packages can be found at
https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-toolchain-r/+archive/ubuntu/test/
GCC 6 packages for Debian are in Debian/experimental.

Bug reports for all ICEs were submitted to the GCC bug tracker,
excluding some where cc1/cc1plus was killed by the OS (haskell-src-exts,
octomap, plasma-desktop, seqan (all arm64), freeorion (ppc64el).

I haven't yet looked into the build failures except for the ICEs.  If
somebody wants to help please let me know so that work isn't duplicated.

I'm planning to do a second test rebuild for Debian/unstable (amd64
only) in early Feb.
Thanks for all the work pulling this together.

We (the Red Hat engineers) were talking about the state of things yesterday. There'll be an obvious focus on the gcc6 regressions, many of which were issues you've reported. First priority is serious code correctness stuff, then the ICEs.

Ideally we'll make some major progress prior to early Feb -- which happens to line up with the proposed Fedora mass rebuild.

Jeff