Re: Identifying a pointer to a structure

Richard Biener wrote on 12/03/2015 03:32 PM:
On Thu, Dec 3, 2015 at 8:54 AM, Uday P. Khedker <uday@cse.iitb.ac.in> wrote:
We are implementing points-to analysis in GCC 4.7.2 and need to distinguish
between
pointers to scalars and the pointers to structures. This distinction by
using the TYPE (TREE_TYPE)
hierarchy of the tree node of the pointer. We have two questions:

(a) Is it sufficient to check for the presence of RECORD_TYPE in type
hierarchy?
(b) Is it safe to assume that the RECORD_TYPE always appears as a leaf node
in
     the type description of any pointer to structure?

As an example, the tree nodes of a pointer to an integer (y) and a pointer
to a structure (f)
below. It seems to support our hunch.
Yes, your observations are correct with respect to types.

But you can't rely on the pointer type for determining what kind of
object apointer points to.
First because of int *p = &s.i;  with struct { int i; ... } s; points
to an int but it also points
to the start of an aggregate (and so can be trivially casted to a
pointer to s).  Second because
GCCs middle-end (thus GIMPLE) ignores pointer types completely so you can have
an SSA name a_1 of type int *X and a dereference a_1->b.c (thus a_1 points to a
structure object even though it is of type int *).

Thanks for this word of caution :)

We understand your example (where SSA variable a_1 is of type int * and it is dereferenced as a_1->b.c) with the following explanation: Since GIMPLE based transformations ignore the type information completely, it could differ flow sensitively for variables and is left implicit. In other words, the type of a variable in an expression could differ from its type available in VAR_DECL. For the above example, the type of a_1 in VAR_DECL is int * whereas it is actually used as a pointer to a struct in the expression a_1->b.c because of some code transformations.

Fortunately, we do not need the flow sensitive type of a variable in every expression.

Our basic need is much simpler: We would like to know if a pointer is used for iteratively accessing a recursive data structure (such as a list),  in a loop or recursive invocation as illustrated below. Due to some transformations, can a pointer to int show up for such accesses in GIMPLE or would it always have RECORD_TYPE in its type expression for such limited situations?

while (...)
{
    x = x->f;
}

At the source level, x is guaranteed to be a pointer to a struct. Our question is: Does this guarantee hold in GIMPLE in the limited situations of such iterative accesses to a recursive data structure?

In particular, if this guarantee does not hold for a sequential access pattern such as below, it is a non-issue for us.

x = x->f;
x = x->f;
x = x->f;

What gives us a ray of hope is our hunch that the code transformations for iterative accesses are far more limited than they are for sequential accesses.

Thanks and regards,

Uday.