Re: basic asm and memory clobbers

On 11/19/2015 06:23 PM, David Wohlferd wrote:

About the only immediate task would be to ensure that the
documentation for traditional asms clearly documents the desired
semantics and somehow note that there are known bugs in the
implementation (ie 24414, handling of flags registers, and probably
other oddities)

Given that gcc is at phase 3, I'm guessing this work won't be in v6?  Or
would this be considered "general bugfixing?"

The reason I ask is I want to clearly document what the current behavior
is as well as informing them about what's coming.  If this isn't
changing until v7, the text can be updated then to reflect the new
behavior.

Documentation fixes are accepted all the way through Stage 4, since there's less risk of introducing regressions in user programs from accidental documentation mistakes than code errors.

OTOH, I'd discourage adding anything to the docs about anticipated changes in future releases, except possibly to note that certain features or behavior are deprecated and may be removed in future releases (with a suggestion about what you should do instead). We've already got too many "maybe someday this will be fixed" notes in the manual that are not terribly useful to users.

-Sandra