Re: dejagnu version update?

On Wed, Sep 16, 2015 at 11:27 PM, Mike Stump <mikestump@comcast.net> wrote:
> On Sep 16, 2015, at 9:25 AM, Ramana Radhakrishnan <ramana.radhakrishnan@foss.arm.com> wrote:
>>
>> Sorry about the obvious (possibly dumb) question.
>
>> Can't we just import a copy of dejagnu each year and install it as part of the source tree?
>
> TL;DR: No.

[snip]

Thanks for the refresher on dll hell ;)  My original inspiration for
thinking about the import just as I was leaving for the day was the
whole raft of target libraries we now build with gcc that are imported
 (for convenience, coupling with compiler features etc. etc. ), why
not do the same with what is essentially required for any developer ?
I also see that the coupling for dejagnu is probably best left to
packaging systems - however we have a situations where developers face
version skew for dejagnu with the systems they are forced to develop
and test on. The question was really whether we as a community thought
that this cost with dejagnu was worth it and for someone to ask that
obvious question.

I am happy to settle for dealing with dejagnu the same way as other
prerequisites like gmp, mpfr / mpc i.e. put out a hard error when
testing if the right version of dejagnu is not found. For bonus points
update download_prerequisites to get the right version in the source
tree for people using older distributions and not being in a position
to upgrade their packages.

regards
Ramana