Re: dejagnu version update?

On Sep 15, 2015, at 1:04 PM, Jeff Law <law@redhat.com> wrote:
> Given we haven't updated the dejagnu reqs since ~2001, I think stepping forward would be appropriate and I'd support moving all the way to 1.5.3 with the expectation that we'll be on a cadence of no faster than 2 years going forward.

So, I actually picked 1.5, not at random, but because RHEL 7 has 1.5.1 and because ubuntu LTS has 1.5.  The point was for people to get the software for free via their normal update mechanisms.  We could go beyond 1.5 if we had a compelling need.  I just don’t see the need.  The software presently works with 1.4.4 and there aren’t any changes that require anything newer.  If the ubuntu people and the RHEL people can push 1.5.3 into their update chains, that would remove these two reasons to hold back at 1.5.  MacPorts has 1.5.3 already, not sure about brew.

If someone wanted to do something major, I’m fine with on demand dejagnu release and a bump of gcc and even the release branch to match it.

I don’t have a strong desire to not update past 1.5, if people really would like to.  Just a general, would be nice not to have to.