Git conversion: disposition of old branches and tags

There are lots of ancient branches and tags in the SVN repository that are no longer interesting, and it would be nice not to have them cluttering up the lists and default fetch set.

The options I see for each branch or tag are:
1) Keep them at the same place.
2) Move them to a subdirectory like "dead", as was sometimes done in SVN.
3) Delete them.
4) Move them out of refs/{heads,tags}, perhaps into refs/namespaces/dead or refs/namespaces/archive.

For release tags and active branches, #1 is obviously the right choice.

I don't think #2 is very useful.

I think #3 is the right choice for the *merge* tags: they are just artifacts of the difficulty of SVN merges, and I think we should discard them.

For most old branches and tags, I like #4; that takes them out of the set that is fetched by default, but keeps the history on the server.

Make sense?

Jason