This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Version numbers question
- From: JohnT <democritus7 at att dot net>
- To: gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org
- Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2015 08:55:03 -0500
- Subject: Version numbers question
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
I am wondering why it appears that GCC has started drastically raising its
major version number for minor changes, instead of spending several years
on version 3 and 4. 4.0.1, 4.1.1 and 4.12, 4.2.3, 4.3.2, 4.4.5, up through
4.7.0, 4.7.1, 4.7.2, the 4.8 and 4.9 releases, then version 5.1 and
talking about version 6. Little changes should be reflected in minor
version and bugfix numbers, not major version jumps.
Kansas, where Brownback talks and the wind blows