Re: Precompiled headers - still useful feature?

On Wed, May 27, 2015 at 10:44:20AM +0100, Jonathan Wakely wrote:
> On 27 May 2015 at 10:01, Markus Trippelsdorf wrote:
> > And until C++ modules are implemented (unfortunately nobody is working
> > on this AFAIK) pch is still the only option left. So deprecating them
> > now seem premature.
>
> I doubt anyone's going to implement them until they're specified, the
> proposals are still evolving.

Also from user perspective precompiled headers are clumsy and
error-prone interface. Week ago I debugged a header and wasted hour
finding why there is problem in header, then finding that cpp x.c > Y.c
works but gcc x.c doesn't and it took me while to realize that I
accidentaly generated stale header.

These are feature that should be transparent. A better approach would be
create say 64mb cache with pch or whatever and use precompiled one from
cache unless it or depending files timestamps changed.