Re: GSoc-2015: Modular GCC (RFC on refactoring)

On 03/18/2015 01:21 PM, Oleg Endo wrote:
On Tue, 2015-03-17 at 22:31 -0600, Jeff Law wrote:

I'm not a big fan of keeping the FOR_EACH_blah style iterator and would
prefer to use real C++ iterators.  But it ought to give you some ideas
about how to start breaking these things out.

BTW I've tried to propose to start doing that (using C++ 'standard'
iteration concepts) a while ago:
https://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2013-12/msg01129.html

Unfortunately the discussion didn't go anywhere.  Maybe the patch could
serve as a starting point for something/somebody.
I think Trevor had some good comments, particularly WRT overloading. I think that in general we want to avoid those kind of overloads.

I do agree with your assertion that utilizing standard facilities, makes understanding an existing code base easier. That applies to iterator styles, exploiting code in the standard library, etc etc.

WRT discussion dying off, yea, that will tend to happen with proposals made in mid December -- folks are focused on regression bugfixing, then the holidays, then more regression bugfixing. Things like this just aren't a priority.

jeff