Re: MPX runtime inclusion for GCC 5

On Wed, 25 Feb 2015, Jeff Law wrote:

> So the steering committee has agreed to include the MPX runtime in GCC.  The
> runtime bits are a necessary component to actually make use of the MPX
> capabilities.
>
> GCC is a downstream consumer of the core runtime and the canonical repository
> for the wrapper subpart of that runtime.
>
> The question is whether or not to try and get the MPX runtime integrated for
> GCC 5 or wait until the next stage 1.
>
> I'm hesitant to add at this stage, but if we could limit it to only building
> on host/target combinations where we know it works, then perhaps including it
> might make sense as it'll be easier for developers who want to take advantage
> of MPX to get everything they need from the GCC release rather than stitching
> things together from multiple locations.
>

> Jakub, Joseph & Richi have the final say here for inclusion in GCC 5.

I'm undecided here - if we can make sure to not break anybodies bootstrap
for example by either disabling the build of the MPX runtime by default
(thus make a "virtual" --with-system-mpx-runtime the default) or by
only enabling it by default for known targets (but as seen with the
sanitizers things break even then with dependencies on glibc or kernel
header details) then I'm fine with it.  After all the MPX feature
is "incomplete" right now?  I woudln't even know where to get the
MPX runtime from (I suppose it's not documented anywhere in install.texi
nor is it placed in infrastructure/ or supported to be built in-tree).

Richard.

--
Richard Biener <rguenther@suse.de>
SUSE LINUX GmbH, GF: Felix Imendoerffer, Jane Smithard, Jennifer Guild,