Re: organization of C Extensions in manual

On Sun, 25 Jan 2015, David Wohlferd wrote:

> >> Arrays and Vectors
> >>      Designated Inits: Labeling elements of initializers.
> >
> > I think this one might better be placed in a section on initializers.
>
> Since the only place 'Designated Inits' can be used is on arrays, placing this
> in the 'Arrays and Vectors' section seems appropriate.

Designated initializers apply to both array elements and structure and
union members.

(This is another case that logically would describe (a) that the C99
feature is accepted for older standards; (b) a limited subset is accepted
for C++; (c) there's also this legacy pre-standard syntax you may see in
existing code but shouldn't used in new code.)

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com