Re: How to upgrade a tool-chain tree...

On 12/28/2014 02:27 PM, Alan Lehotsky wrote:
I have a tool chain for an experimental processor, built starting with release or snapshot distributions of

	binutils-2.21
	cgen-20110901
	gcc-4.6.1
	newlib-1.19.0
	gdb 7.2

I'm using SVN for version control locally.

I'd like to upgrade it to a newer source base; but since it wasn't done by checking out from the FSF and Sourceware version-control systems, I'm wondering if there's any clever way to merge my tree or if I just have to bite the bullet and essentially take everything I've modified since version 1 in my source tree and import them into a new source tree?

Hi Alan,

I'm doing a similar thing with multiple packages for my project. I currently have the following versions of the packages I use http://ellcc.org/blog/?page_id=467 I keep all the packages in a vendor branch of my svn repository http://ellcc.org/viewvc/svn/vendor/ I use svn_load_dirs.pl to bring in a new release or snapshot with a command like this: /usr/share/doc/subversion-1.6.18/svn_load_dirs.pl -svn_username rich -svn_password XXXXXX -t binutils-<new version> http://ellcc.org/svn/vendor/binutils current binutils

Then I use
svn merge --accept edit http://ellcc.org/svn/vendor/binutils/binutils-<old version> http://ellcc.org/svn/vendor/binutils/current binutils
to merge the new source updates into my source tree.

I do the updates frequently, or at least as often as new releases happen. Especially the clang/LLVM part, which I update weekly because it changes so fast. Usually the merges go smoothly but sometimes I have to manually arbitrate between merge conflicts.

I'm not sure if this will help you update your current sources since you may not have a tag on the original sources you brought in.

I found this technique a while ago via google. There are probably better ways to do this, bit it works for me.

-Rich