This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: libgomp: "GNU OpenMP Runtime Library" (was: [PATCH 1/5] OpenACC 2.0 support for libgomp - OpenACC runtime, NVidia PTX/CUDA plugin (repost))
- From: David Malcolm <dmalcolm at redhat dot com>
- To: Jakub Jelinek <jakub at redhat dot com>
- Cc: Thomas Schwinge <thomas at codesourcery dot com>, gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org, gcc-patches at gcc dot gnu dot org, Ilya Verbin <iverbin at gmail dot com>, Julian Brown <julian at codesourcery dot com>
- Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2014 08:33:34 -0500
- Subject: Re: libgomp: "GNU OpenMP Runtime Library" (was: [PATCH 1/5] OpenACC 2.0 support for libgomp - OpenACC runtime, NVidia PTX/CUDA plugin (repost))
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <20140923191931 dot 2177e60f at octopus> <20141111135323 dot 29e0f27b at octopus> <20141112100626 dot GP5026 at tucnak dot redhat dot com> <87389opszu dot fsf at schwinge dot name> <20141112113329 dot GX5026 at tucnak dot redhat dot com>
On Wed, 2014-11-12 at 12:33 +0100, Jakub Jelinek wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 12, 2014 at 12:18:13PM +0100, Thomas Schwinge wrote:
> > On Wed, 12 Nov 2014 11:06:26 +0100, Jakub Jelinek <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote:
> > > On Tue, Nov 11, 2014 at 01:53:23PM +0000, Julian Brown wrote:
> > > > --- a/libgomp/configure.ac
> > > > +++ b/libgomp/configure.ac
> > > > @@ -2,6 +2,8 @@
> > > > # aclocal -I ../config && autoconf && autoheader && automake
> > > >
> > > > AC_PREREQ(2.64)
> > > > +#TODO: Update for OpenACC? But then also have to update copyright notices in
> > > > +#all source files...
> > | > AC_INIT([GNU OpenMP Runtime Library], 1.0,,[libgomp])
> > >
> > > Please drop this.
> > (I agree to drop the TODO marker, obviously.) Note that I'm not trying
> > to drive this into a "bikeshedding" discussion, and neither is my
> > intention to discredit the lots of pioneering OpenMP work in GCC (which
> > we're largely basing our OpenACC work on -- thanks!).
> > The underlying question here is, with offloading generally as well as the
> > OpenACC Runtime Library also to be living in libgomp, calling it "GNU
> > OpenMP Runtime Library" is no longer accurate. (Also, I'm not proposing
> > to change the libgomp library name -- that would probably be too much of
> > a hassle?) Do we want a new "verbose" name for libgomp, "GNU Offloading,
> > OpenACC, and OpenMP Runtime Library" (sorting alphabetically), or
> > something else, or no change. I'm afraid that not changing it will be
> > confusing to users who are looking for the GCC implementation of the
> > OpenACC Runtime Library, for example?
> Yeah, it is something I wanted to mention in the review of the documentation
> patch, calling it just GNU OpenMP Runtime Library is not right after
> it handles OpenACC too, but GNU Offloading, OpenACC and OpenMP Runtime
> Library sounds bad to me too, because offloading (both OpenMP offloading and
> OpenACC offloading) is actually only a small part of what the library is
> about, I still view the library primarily as being a runtime for
> OpenMP parallelization, tasking etc.; that's how it started and even OpenMP
> offloading is just a matter of the last year (and until today in upstream
> not even any actual offloading), for OpenACC it is solely about
> offloading and directives in the offloaded code, right?
> So, don't want to bikeshed, but I'd call it
> GNU OpenMP and OpenACC Runtime Library simply from the things what it does
> and how it evolved, I know it isn't alphabetically sorted that way, but
> it will the library has more than 9 years of history now and tons of users
Apologies for bikeshedding, and I normally dislike "cute" names, but
renaming it to
"GNU Offloading and Multi Processing library"
would allow a backronym of "libgomp", thus preserving the existing