This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Enabling -fextended-identifiers by default
- From: Joseph Myers <joseph at codesourcery dot com>
- To: <gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org>
- Cc: <jason at redhat dot com>
- Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2014 16:24:21 +0000
- Subject: Enabling -fextended-identifiers by default
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
I propose enabling -fextended-identifiers by default for the appropriate
standard versions (i.e. all C++ versions, C99 and above for C - so enabled
by default for C now the default C version is gnu11). Any comments or
The following is my list of desirable improvements in the existing
-fextended-identifiers support or testcases for it, but I don't think
these issues need to stop it from being enabled by default.
* C -aux-info.
* ObjC -gen-decls.
* Use DW_AT_use_UTF8 in DWARF-3 debug info for compilation units built
with extended identifiers enabled (or unconditionally).
* cpplib spelling preservation; correct output for -d (UCNs), DWARF
debug info for macros (UCNs), PCH and PCH tests.
* cpplib diagnostics (outputting characters or UCNs as appropriate
depending on the locale, as done for identifiers in non-cpplib
* C++ test for UCN linking with C and extern "C".
* Testcase for pp-numbers containing UCNs, $ or other equivalent
* Debug info generation tests (at least add -g to existing tests, plus
UCNs for fields / struct tags / enum values / goto labels / macros
* C++ translation of extended characters (including $@` and various
control characters) to UCNs in phase 1 (note diagnostics thus
needed, but not for C++11, for control characters in strings /
character constants as those UCNs invalid).
* Actual UTF-8 in identifiers (?).
Joseph S. Myers