Re: Conditional negation elimination in tree-ssa-phiopt.c

On 12/08/14 18:03, Kyrill Tkachov wrote:

> On 12/08/14 16:16, Kyrill Tkachov wrote:

>>> I managed to get combine to recognise this pattern:
>>> (set (match_operand:GPI 0 "register_operand" "=r")
>>>            (plus:GPI (xor:GPI (neg:GPI (match_operand:GPI 1
>>> "register_operand" "r"))
>>>                               (match_operand:GPI 2 "register_operand" "r"))
>>>                      (match_dup 1)))
>>>
>>> Now what I need is for operand 1 to instead be a cc_reg comparison, but
>>> when I change operand 1 to this pattern:
>>>
>>> (set (match_operand:GPI 0 "register_operand" "=r")
>>>            (plus:GPI (xor:GPI (neg:GPI (match_operator:GPI 1
>>> "aarch64_comparison_operator"
>>>                                    [(match_operand:CC 2 "cc_register" "")
>>> (const_int 0)]))
>>>                               (match_operand:GPI 3 "register_operand" "r"))
>>>                      (match_dup 1)))
>>>
>>> This doesn't match. Is there any way to express this in a combineable
>>> pattern?
>> argh, Thunderbird enforced the 80 character limit...
>>
>> The pattern that matched was:
>> (set (match_operand:GPI 0 "register_operand" "=r")
>>           (plus:GPI
>>             (xor:GPI
>>               (neg:GPI (match_operand:GPI 1 "register_operand" "r"))
>>               (match_operand:GPI 2 "register_operand" "r"))
>>             (match_dup 1)))
>
> If I match that to a define_and_split and split it into two sets:
> (set (reg1) (neg reg2))
> (set (plus (xor (reg1) (reg3))
>                  (reg2)))
>
> and then add a define_insn with the full pattern:
>
> (set (match_operand:GPI 0 "register_operand" "=r")
>           (plus:GPI
>             (xor:GPI
>               (neg:GPI
>                 (match_operator:GPI 1 "aarch64_comparison_operator"
>                   [(match_operand:CC 2 "cc_register" "")
>                      (const_int 0)]))
>                 (match_operand:GPI 3 "register_operand" "r"))
>             (match_dup 1)))
>
> Then this does manage to match the full thing that I want. But I had to
> add another define_split to break up the plus+xor Frankenstein's monster
> back into two separate insns for the cases where it picks up
> non-conditional-negate patterns.
>
> Does that seem reasonable or too much of a hack? Any plus+xor rtxs that
> get left after combine should be split up again relatively quickly in
> split1 and shouldn't inhibit further optimisation too badly, no?

The problem with the frankenmonster patterns is that they tend to
proliferate into the machine description, and before you know where you
are the back-end is full of them.

Furthermore, they are very sensitive to the greedy first-match nature of
combine: a better, later, combination is missed because a less good,
earlier, optimization matched.  If the first insn in the sequence is
merged into an earlier instruction then you can end up with a junk
sequence that completely fails to simplify.  That ends up with
super-frankenmonster patterns to deal with all the subcases and the
problems grow exponentially from there.

I really do think that the best solution would be to try and catch this
during expand if possible and generate the right pattern from the start;
then you don't risk combine failing to come to the rescue after several
intermediate transformations have taken place.