Re: soft-fp functions support without using libgcc

On May 16, 2014, at 12:25 PM, Ian Bolton <ian.bolton@arm.com> wrote:

>> On Fri, May 16, 2014 at 6:34 AM, Sheheryar Zahoor Qazi
>> <sheheryar.zahoor.qazi@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I am trying to provide soft-fp support to a an 18-bit soft-core
>>> processor architecture at my university. But the problem is that
>>> libgcc has not been cross-compiled for my target architecture and
>> some
>>> functions are missing so i cannot build libgcc.I believe soft-fp is
>>> compiled in libgcc so i am usable to invoke soft-fp functions from
>>> libgcc.
>>> It is possible for me to provide soft-fp support without using
>> libgcc.
>>> How should i proceed in defining the functions? Any idea? And does
>> any
>>> archoitecture provide floating point support withoput using libgcc?
>>
>> I'm sorry, I don't understand the premise of your question.  It is not
>> necessary to build libgcc before building libgcc.  That would not make
>> sense.  If you have a working compiler that is missing some functions
>> provided by libgcc, that should be sufficient to build libgcc.
>
> If you replace "cross-compiled" with "ported", I think it makes senses.
> Can one provide soft-fp support without porting libgcc for their
> architecture?

By definition, in soft-fp you have to implement the FP operations in software.  That’s not quite the same as porting libgcc to the target architecture.  It should translate to porting libgcc (the FP emulation part) to the floating point format being used.

In other words, if you want soft-fp for IEEE float, the job should be very simple because that has already been done.  If you want soft-fp for CDC 6000 float, you have to do a full implementation of that.

	paul