Re: Live range shrinkage in pre-reload scheduling

On Thu, May 15, 2014 at 8:36 AM, Maxim Kuvyrkov
<maxim.kuvyrkov@linaro.org> wrote:
> On May 15, 2014, at 6:46 PM, Ramana Radhakrishnan <ramana.gcc@googlemail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> I'm not claiming it's a great heuristic or anything.  There's bound to
>>> be room for improvement.  But it was based on "reality" and real results.
>>>
>>> Of course, if it turns out not be a win for ARM or s390x any more then it
>>> should be disabled.
>>
>> The current situation that Kyrill is investigating is a case where we
>> notice the first scheduler pass being a bit too aggressive with
>> creating ILP opportunities with the A15 scheduler that causes
>> performance differences with not turning on the first scheduler pass
>> vs using the defaults.
>
> Charles has a work-in-progress patch that fixes a bug in SCHED_PRESSURE_MODEL that causes the above symptoms.  The bug causes 1st scheduler to unnecessarily increase live ranges of pseudo registers when there are a lot of instructions in the ready list.

Is this something that you've seen shows up in general integer code as
well ? Do you or Charles have an example for us to look at ? I'm not
sure what "lot of instructions in the ready list" really means here.
The specific case Kyrill's been looking into is Dhrystone Proc_8 when
tuned for a Cortex-A15 with neon and float-abi=hard but I am not sure
if that has "too many instructions" :) .

Kyrill, could you also look into the other cases we have from SPEC2k
where we see this as well and come back with any specific testcases
that Charles / Richard could also take a look into.

> Charles, can you finish your patch in the next several days and post it for review?

I think we'll await this but we'll go look into some of the benchmarks.

Ramana