Re: [RFC][ARM] Naming for new switch to check for mixed hardfloat/softfloat compat

"Thomas Preud'homme" <thomas.preudhomme@arm.com> writes:
>> From: Richard Sandiford [mailto:rdsandiford@googlemail.com]
>>
>> "Thomas Preud'homme" <thomas.preudhomme@arm.com> writes:
>>
>> -mno-float causes gcc to define the macro __mips_no_float, which the
>> implementation can use when deciding whether to bother handling %f, etc.
>> I'm afraid there's nothing more sophisticated to it than that.
>>

> So the libc needs to be compiled with -mno-float as well so that printf and
> scanf drop the float handling?

Yes.  The configurations that support -mno-float have separate -mno-float
multilibs.  In a sense, the point of -mno-float instead of -msoft-float is
to select these cut-down libraries.

>> A more general restriction would be "must pass arguments in the same
>> way for both option set A and option set B".  That too could be done
>> using existing hooks and SWITCHABLE_TARGET, although it might not be
>> hyper-efficient.
>
> I don't know how exactly that would work. You would switch twice for
> each function and ask the register used for each function call?

Yeah, that's the idea.  More generally, run initialize_argument_information
once for each ABI and compare the two arg_data arrays.  Similarly for
function.c.

Thanks,
Richard