RE: Infinite number of iterations in loop [v850, mep]

You are right, everything is fine with the above example regarding the anti-dependence and with the loop as well. I got confused with mine not generating a loop for
void fn1 (unsigned int b)
{
  unsigned int a;
  for (a = 0; a < b; a++)
    *c++ = 0;
}

but that simply because in our case it is not profitable.

However, for the case:
void matrix_add_const(unsigned int N, short *A, short val) {
 unsigned int i,j;
 for (i=0; i<N; i++) {
  for (j=0; j<N; j++) {
   A[i*N+j] += val;
  }
 }
}

GCC thinks for v850 and my port that the inner loop might be infinite.
It looks like GCC is mangling the loop so much that the obviousness that the inner loop is finite is lost.

This however turns out to be very performance degrading. Using -fno-ivopts makes generation of loops work again both in my port and v850.
Is there a way to fine-tune ivopts besides trying to tune the costs or do you reckon this is something iv-analysis should be smarter about?

Paulo Matos