Re: DONT_BREAK_DEPENDENCIES bitmask for scheduling

On 11/12/2013, at 11:14 am, Ramana Radhakrishnan <ramana.gcc@googlemail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 9:44 PM, Maxim Kuvyrkov <maxim@kugelworks.com> wrote:

>> "Breaking" a dependency in scheduler involves modification of instructions that would allow scheduler to move one instruction past the other.  The most common case of breaking a dependency is "r2 = r1 + 4; r3 = [r2];" which can be transformed into "r3 = [r1 + 4]; r2 = r1 + 4;".  Breaking a dependency is not ignoring it, speculatively or otherwise; it is an equivalent code transformation to allow scheduler more freedom to fill up CPU cycles.
>

> Yes, but there are times when it does this a bit too aggressively and
> this looks like the cause for a performance regression that I'm
> investigating on ARM. I was looking for a way of preventing this
> transformation and there doesn't seem to be an easy one other than the
> obvious hack.

If you want a particular transformation from occurring, then you need to investigate why scheduler thinks that there is nothing better to do than to schedule an instruction which requires breaking a dependency.  "Breaking" a dependency only increases pool of instructions available to schedule, and your problem seems to be laying in "why" the wrong instruction is selected from that pool.

Are you sure that the problem is introduced by dependency breaking, rather than dependency breaking exposing a latent bug?

> Additionally there appears to be no way to control "flags" in a
> backend hook for sched-rgn for DONT_BREAK_DEPENDENCIES . Again if the
> DONT_BREAK_DEPENDENCIES is meant to be disabled with these flags, then
> it looks like we should allow for these to also be handled or describe
> TARGET_SCHED_SET_SCHED_FLAGS as only a hook valid with the selective
> scheduler.

I'm not sure I follow you here.  Any port can define TARGET_SCHED_SET_SCHED_FLAGS and set current_sched_info->flags to whatever it thinks is appropriate.  E.g., c6x does this to disable dependency breaking for a particular kind of loops.

>>> It's funny how I've been trying to track down a glitch and ended up
>>> asking the same question today. Additionally if I use
>>> TARGET_SCHED_SET_SCHED_FLAGS on a port that doesn't use the selective
>>> scheduler, this does nothing. Does anyone know why is this the default
>>> for ports where we don't turn on selective scheduling and might need a
>>> hook to turn this off ?
>>
>> SCHED_FLAGS is used to enable or disable various parts of GCC scheduler.  On an architecture that supports speculative >scheduling with recovery (IA64) it can turn this feature on or off.  The documentation for various features of sched-rgn, sched-ebb and sel-sched is not the best and one will likely get weird artefacts by trying out non-default settings.
>

> Well, it appears as though TARGET_SCHED_SET_SCHED_FLAGS is only valid
> with the selective scheduler on as above and is a no-op as far as
> sched-rgn goes. This whole area could do with some improved
> documentation - I'll follow up with some patches to see if I can
> improve the situation.

I don't think this is the case.  TARGET_SCHED_SET_SCHED_FLAGS has two outputs: one is SPEC_INFO structure (which is used for IA64 only, both for sel-sched and sched-rgn), and the other one is modification of current_sched_info->flags, which affects all schedulers (sched-rgn, sched-ebb and sel-sched) and all ports.

--
Maxim Kuvyrkov
www.kugelworks.com