Re: [doc] Fixing reference inside Extended-Asm.html

On Wed, 20 Nov 2013, Patrick Marlier wrote:
> I have noticed that the link
> Extended-asm-with-goto.html#Extended-asm-with-goto is wrong in
> http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/Extended-Asm.html.
> Locally when I generate the html doc, the link is good, ie <a
> href="#Extended-asm-with-goto">.

I had a look, and the way makeinfo generates HTML is, hmm, creative.

For an internal reference (@xref) like this it creates a new file based
on the reference name -- Extended-asm-with-goto.html -- and that file then
only contains a single line which is a redirect back to the original page.

And here is our inconsistency since it encodes blank characters as %20

  url=Extended-Asm.html#Extended%20asm%20with%20goto">

whereas in the document itself it reads

  <a name="Extended-asm-with-goto">

> Also the online page for Extended-asm-with-goto.html is wrong, '%20'
> instead of '-'.

As far as I can tell both approaches to encode blanks would be fine.

The problem is that they should be used consistently, which is not
what happens on gcc.gnu.org running makeinfo 4.13.

> Is the version of texinfo buggy to generate online documentation?

That'd be my assumption.  Which version are you using locally that
does not exhibit this behavior?

My guess is you are using a more recent version of makeinfo.  Updating
gcc.gnu.org will be hard (since its a standard RHEL 6 system) and I
won't have the time to hack around this (applying sed magic, say).

Gerald