Re: Include file visibility scopes? (Was: Re: [RFC] Include file structuring.)

On Tue, Oct 22, 2013 at 11:09 PM, Joern Rennecke
<joern.rennecke@embecosm.com> wrote:

> I wonder what it'd take to have a cpp extension to include a file in
> such a manner as to
> emit a diagnostic if the items declared / #defined inside are used
> directly by a file
> that includes the file that does the thus guarded include.
> We already have some tracking of where source comes from now for the purposes
> of printing include backtraces...
> Woud probably want to re-set the usable scope if there is a later include of the
> same file, mutliple-include-guards notwithstanding...

You are describing something very similar to the IWYU tool:
https://code.google.com/p/include-what-you-use/

It's harder than it looks. I spent some time working on it when we
were developing it as a GCC plugin. It's now a proper clang client,
but it's not foolproof.  I have not looked into it in years, so I
don't know what the current state is.

Diego.