Re: Getting the ARC port reviewed and accepted

On 02/10/13 14:59, Richard Biener wrote:
> The main reason for technical review of a port is to avoid that it uses
> deprecated mechanisms and thus blocks removal of them.  Like
> accepting a port that uses target macros when a corresponding
> target hook exists, or accepting a port that uses reload instead of LRA,
> or any other partial transition thing we had this matrix for somewhere
> somewhen.

There may be technical issues with doing this, but I've pondered before
the idea of having a pre-define of NEW_PORT, which has the effect of
disabling all deprecated interfaces in the compiler.  New back-end
submissions would be required to build with NEW_PORT defined at the time
of inclusion.

Once a port has been included into trunk it can then remove the NEW_PORT
restriction.

A hook like this would also be useful for working out which ports were
still relying on legacy interfaces (though I suspect today that's most
of them...).

R.